Gingerbread is a staple for Christmas, whether in the form of cookies, friendly men or tiles to build a gingerbread house. Get ahead this year with our easy to follow recipe. Our version has the perfect balance of sweet and spiced, thanks to our special ingredient, ‘Christmas spice’, made with cinnamon, ginger and mixed spice.
Makes 30 cookies or a small gingerbread house
350g rye flour
150g demerara sugar
60g ground almond
10g Christmas spice (4g cinnamon, 3g ginger, 3g mixed spice)
6g cocoa powder
3g bicarbonate of soda
20g orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 175oc and line baking trays with baking paper
- Combine the flour, ground almond, cocoa and Christmas spice in a bowl
- In a pan, gently heat the honey, butter, demerara sugar and orange juice until dissolved
- Add the bicarbonate of soda – careful it will rise!
- Pour the liquid into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well
- Add the egg and stir in until a stiff dough has formed
- Leave to cool slightly, then, on a surface dusted lightly with flour, roll out the dough to 5mm thick
- Cut to size needed, or stamp out the gingerbread men shapes if using a cutter
- Place on the lined trays and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden
Tag us in your creations on Instagram – we would love to see!